Tuesday, May 5, 2009

ABC..F...P...I

Over the weekend I was zipping around the house cleaning up, and Monroe made it really easy for me by parking herself in the kitchen floor with her beloved ABC blocks and entertaining herself. Gotta love those low-maintenance moments! When Monroe recognizes the alphabet anywhere (including these blocks) her enthusiasm is not unlike that of young teenage Ed Sullivan guests for The Beatles. She shouts ABC! ABC! at the top of her lungs. So one of our great rituals is to play the ABC song in the car a few times on our way home from daycare in the late afternoon (thankfully, it's a mellow Jamaican dub version that I can totally stand to listen to a couple times.) Sunday I heard her singing the alphabet song to herself and I just HAD to bust out the video camera.



Here, as best as I can make it out, is an (updated*) transcript of Monroe's custom lyrics:
a
b
c
f
p
i
h
y
z
elmo book
"I know my"
h
c
I
h
y
z
elmo book
"I know my"
a
c
h
y
z
yay!!!!

* See Eben's perceptive observations below.

10 comments:

  1. The "elmo book" part is her version of "now I know my".

    What a sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta post that on FB so I can copy it over to my profile! (elmo book) This is the greatest one yet! (elmo book)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, goodness – that is so cute. I wonder if this is her way of embedding subliminal messages to tell you guys about stuff that she wants. As in, in five years it will be "L-M-N-O-Barbie-Dream-House," And then in another decade "W-X-Y-and-Nissan-Z350!"

    Kids these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're trying to get free babysitting by showing your daughter's irresistible cuteness, right? Pretty soon I'll be knocking down your door and shooing you out so *I* can spend time with her. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to back Eben up that what I heard as "Elmo Book" is actually "I know my" as in "now I know my ABCs." However, she is prone to slipping unexpected words into her alphabet song stylin's, like, "A, B, C, dada, L, M, N..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. After listening with the speakers very, very loud, several times, I think my unique granddaughter is saying ‘Elmo’s world.’ As in, she’s remembering ABCs from… whatever she is saying, she is amazing. Thank you, Eben and Melissa, for this wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Put it on America's Funniest Home videos or YouTube and you'll have a cultural phenonmenon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna put in another vote for "Elmo book" just for the cuteness of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart like her.......

    GREAT Grandpa Adams ( heh heh heh)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely precious...no matter what she is saying!

    Great Aunt Peggy

    ReplyDelete