Saturday, August 1, 2009

love and marriage

Our neighbor, a nice guy about our age, just got married last weekend. We were coming home from a big day with Monroe when he and his new bride came home too--probably the day right after their wedding because the car was all decorated. Monroe was very interested in the changes to the car she's used to seeing every day, so at home I showed her mommy and daddy's wedding picture, and Aunt Naomi's wedding picture, and I explained about the tradition of people getting married when they fall in love. As is often the case when she is interested in something, the explanation just sparked more (repetitive, yet adorable) questions. EVERY SINGLE TIME we park the car now, she looks at the neighbors' car (which is gathering dust while they are honeymooning in Hawaii) and says, "What's that mama?" regarding the decorations. This is an invitation to repeat the same explanation about how people get married, and I play right along.

Friday afternoon in the middle of the same song and dance, she interrupted me to reflect that "mama and dada got married." I agreed with her--happy that she'd jumped to the chase for once--but then she said "I married!" I laughed and then couldn't resist asking her who it was that she was married to. As was INEVITABLE, she proclaimed that "I married with dada."

So cute.

She evened things up by following that with, "I married with mama too." Clearly we have to work on this concept, but at the moment all I felt was SO loved.

3 comments:

  1. That IS adorable! Now our GRANDS are beginning to show a different kind of concern for their Grandparents and that is also adorable. Of course, we're ancient to them. Just keep talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope that she is able to find a guy just like her dad someday! He has worked out very well as husband material:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the kinds of conversations and exchanges that feel the most "real" to me.

    ReplyDelete