Saturday, February 20, 2010

lunchbox shock

Last week I went to pick up Monroe's registration papers for Mount Olive, where she will be attending preschool in the fall. I sat down in the office to go over the Parent Handbook with a wonderfully friendly member of the staff. As I contemplated the official-looking folder, brimming with forms, calendars, and information sheets, I had a psychological experience that I can only describe as a "Wait--I am somebody's MOM?!?" moment. You would think that in the 2.5 years my daughter has blessed the earth with the kiss of her feet, my subconscious would have adapted to the fact that her existence makes me "somebody's mom." Nope. I still get the feeling!

Of course, Monroe has been in childcare for more than a year now--but that's different than being in school. Right now, It pretty much feels like leaving her with a neighborhood friend. Because it kinda is--she essentially goes to a cozy house with a sweet older lady that me and a few other neighborhood parents pay to be our local grandma substitute. :-)

So I'm realizing that while of course next year will be a big deal for her--it will also be a pretty big transition for us, the parents. My goodness, I'll have parent-teacher conferences! There will be field trips. I'll be packing someone's lunch!!

When I shared these thoughts with Eben, he joked that we'll be going to "parent preschool" next year ourselves. I think he's got it right. :-)

2 comments:

  1. When we signed you up for preschool at the Jewish Community Center, I remember feeling so overwhelmingly adult! Like, how did this happen? But I loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of glad to know it doesn't all come totally naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete