Thursday, November 13, 2008

The three R's


There are lots of adorable Monroe updates waiting (in my camera and in my brain) to be posted, but in the meantime, I thought I'd remind you about America Recycles Day November 15th (Saturday.) It's a great chance to add one more item to the list of things your household recycles... or better yet, doesn't use in the first place! Americans generate 4 pounds of garbage per person everyday--can you believe that? The shameful part to me is that is nearly twice the amount produced by individuals in other developed countries! We've got to get our act together, hence the holiday.

We are celebrating ARD with a family Zero Waste day. Since recycling alone can only go so far to solve our global environmental problems, we've decided to observe ARD by putting some energy into the other end of the spectrum and avoiding the creation of refuse in the first place. So we'll try to live one day without creating any waste besides what we flush down the toilet. (And no, that does not mean that we start trying to flush the cardboard cups from Starbucks... I am fairly certain our plumbing can't handle that one.)

I will document the results and share them on the blog! This should AT LEAST be good for some comic relief, and hey--you might get an idea or two from our practices.

Happy planet-saving,
Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Great idea. I have tried to recycle me---won't work!!!!

    GREAT Grandpa Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are trying to recycle everything that has one of those little triangles with a number in it, plus papers, boxes and such; but I'm looking forward to your recycle list. Keep your ideas coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooops! I forgot to sign my name to the previous "anonymous said" thing. I'm Melissa's great aunt Geneva.
    We have a garbage bin with wheels and a recycle bin with wheels and I believe the recycle bin is always the fullest every week.

    Geneva

    ReplyDelete