Monday, December 6, 2010

three-year olds know how to party

Every time Monroe hears a Christmas song (on the radio, in the house, in the grocery store, etc.) she completely flips out as if it is the world's most amazing coincidence that, "Mama, they are playing a REINDEER SONG!" The near-ubiquity of Christmas music has not made a dent in her excitement for each and every tune she recognizes.

Living with a three-year old deeply inspires me to cultivate my capacity for enthusiasm. So much of being happy is, in my opinion, taking pleasure in the everyday shape of your life. There are big things (such as a decent job, an acceptable family/living situation, and basic levels of health) that can suck a lot of joy away when they are lacking, but assuming the essential bones of well-being are in place, I find that a little enthusiasm closes the gap between an okay day and a great day like nothing else. And I am so lucky to have Monroe for inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. I also really like her point of view:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we are sooo lucky to have Monroe's mom for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete